Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find my case on-line?

You will find quick links on the home page of this site.

Can I make an appointment to talk to my judge?

No, an appointment to talk with your judge is not allowed. All ex parte communication is prohibited by law. Any communication with judge requires that each party or their respective attorney is involved. This also means that court staff cannot pass on emails addressed to a judge on matters pertaining to an active case.

How can I be heard by the judge?

The Court may only receive information on a case pending before a judge by the filing of the appropriate motion which would be set on the court's calendar. Any other information received outside of this procedure is prohibited. If the party cannot afford legal representation, then they may prepare the motion (a document indicating what relief/issue that they want the judge to address) by themselves.  The State and Local Bar Association’s website may also have information that may be of assistance.

How do I contact an attorney?

This Court cannot refer you to, nor recommend, any attorney. You will find attorneys listed in the telephone book or you may contact a Lawyer's Referral service. A referral and information service is also sponsored by the State and Local Bar Associations.

What if I can't afford a lawyer?

If you have a criminal case, your financial ability to hire an attorney or be appointed an attorney will be determined by the judge at your arraignment hearing.

If you have a civil case, the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada provides direct representation to income-qualifying residents in Southern Nevada in the areas of domestic violence, family law, immigration, consumer protection, landlord/tenant, social security, bankruptcy and foreclosure.

What if I want to try to resolve my issue without taking the matter to court?

The Neighborhood Justice Center provides no-cost mediation services to Clark County residents, businesses, and organizations.

7. What if I or one of my witnesses needs a foreign language interpreter?

The Court is not obligated to provide a foreign language interpreter for other civil case types. You should make arrangements to have an interpreter available.  Any disinterested third party may act as an interpreter or you may request interpreter services through the court interpreter’s office at (702) 671-4581.

Is there an organization in Southern Nevada to assist Senior Citizens?

Nevada 211 is a program of the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services committed to helping Nevadans connect with the services they need by calling 2-1-1 or 1-866-353-5654, texting your zip code to 898211, or visiting

What are Administrative Assessments fees?

Under Nevada law, several Administrative Assessment (AA) fees are required to be added to a misdemeanor fine and civil penalty. AA fees are used to fund county and state facilities, programs, and services. AA fee example:
      The state mandated fine for using handheld device while driving is $50.00, after the applicable AA fees are added, the total fine and fee amount is $115.00.