E-File FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can E-File?
Anyone can E-File if they have an account. If you are an attorney licensed by  the Nevada State Bar you can request an account as an attorney. If you are representing yourself, you can still get an account but you will be registered as someone that self-represented.
Can I access any other case information?
You cannot view E-Filings submitted by other parties on the case.  However, parties who are electronically served through the Odyssey File & Serve system will receive an email notice that includes a link to the electronic document. You may wish to open and save the served document so that you have continued access to it. Only the self-represented party or counsel of record on the case may remotely view or access electronically filed documents.
How do I register for and use E-File and Serve?
The home page, efilenv.com, serves as the gateway to the system. From this screen, you can register, log in, read your court’s Message of the Day, access the user guides, view training sessions, and get contact information for Technical Support.

To learn how to register for and use File & Serve, select this document link.
How will I know if I have successfully registered for E-Filing?
After completing the registration process, you will receive a notice from Odyssey File & Serve asking you to activate your account.
What document format is accepted?
Any original document submitted to the court, such as a motion or a brief, must be in a Portable Document Format (PDF).  Each document must not be larger than 8½ by 11 inches as set out in the Nevada Rules of Court.
How many documents can I include in my submission? Is there a size limit per document or submission?
There is no limit to the number of documents you may submit however; each document cannot be larger than 25MB or a combined total of 35MB per envelope.
Do I need to install any software?
The E-Filing system is browser-based.  This means that you do not need to install any special E-Filing software.  You do need a computer that is connected to the internet and has a browser installed.  You can use Firefox from Mozilla, Internet Explorer 11 from Microsoft, Google Chrome, Safari, or any other HTML 5.0 standards compliant browser.

You will also need a word processing program, such as WordPerfect or Microsoft Word.
What is required of the person doing the E-Filing?
When a law firm or litigant is ready to E-File a document, they will go to the Odyssey File & Serve E-Filing web page at http://efilenv.com.   After identifying themselves and their account number, they will enter  basic information about the document; that information may include the party  filing the document, what type of document they are filing, what other parties  the document relates to, etc.  They will then scan or upload the document,  and file it.  The amount of information that will need to be entered will  vary depending on a number of factors such as the type of document, number of  parties affected, etc.  The greatest amount of data will be needed when the  first document or pleading in the case is E-Filed, as this starts the case.   After that, information about an on-going case will be known to the  system, reducing the amount of data entry that will be required for subsequent  documents.  Every effort has been made to minimize the amount of  information that will need to be entered.  The account information will be  used to collect the filing fee if there is one and the service charge for using  E-Filing.
Are there charges for E-Filing?
There may be a charge to E-File, depending on how you E-File.

Yes.  There is a service charge of $2.50 for each  document (summons and complaint, answer, motion, etc,) filed from a computer.  The $2.50 service charge is paid at the time of electronic  filing to the E-Filing vendor, Odyssey File & Serve.  This service charge is in addition to court filing fees for the document, if any.   Please refer to the Courts’ web page to review the filing fees charged by the  court.

No:  Individuals representing themselves and attorneys may elect to come to to the Regional Justice Center with documents they have prepared themselves.  These already-prepared documents will then be scanned  and electronically filed for free.  Self-represented individuals should go to the walk-in Civil Law Self Help Center located on the first floor of the Regional Justice Center.  The Center provides scanning of already-prepared documents and information and forms for people who are representing themselves in court.  The staff at the Self-Help Center cannot provide legal advice; the  information available also does not provide legal advice.

Attorneys and runners (messenger servers) may scan their own documents and  E-File without charge at the Justice Court’s Civil Clerks Office on the 2nd floor of the RJC.

Service:  You may also serve documents upon opposing attorneys or self-represented parties for a total fee of $5.50 per document if you know the opposing parties e-mail address.
What do I do if I filed the wrong document or forgot to sign the document?
If the document has not yet been accepted, a Cancel button will be available for that filing in your list of E-Filed documents. The Cancel button will remain available after your document is accepted by the Odyssey File & Serve system until it is reviewed by the Justice Court Civil  Clerk’s Office.  If the Cancel button is not available, it means the document has already been accepted by the Court and the Clerk cannot return, remove or delete it and/or replace the incorrect document with a corrected  version of the document.  You will then need to separately E-File a  corrected document and, if you feel an explanation is necessary, E-File a  document explaining the correction or change. If the incorrect document needs to  be removed from the Court’s record, you will need to file a Motion asking the Court to issue an Order directing the Justice Court Civil Clerks’s Office to remove the document from the Court’s record.
How long will it take for someone to review my document and how will I know when it has been Accepted or Rejected?
Every effort is made to review and process documents within 24 - 48 hours.

After successfully completing an E-Filing transaction you will receive an  email indicating your document has been RECEIVED.  That means the document is with the Justice Court clerks for review.  You will receive a second email letting you know whether the filing was accepted or rejected.  Always look for comments on the email confirmation as to whether your filing was accepted or rejected.  If your document is rejected, the comments will explain the reason so that you may correct it.  It is important to correct the document and refile it as quickly as possible because it will be considered “FILED” on the date it is re-filed.
If there is a technical problem with the E-Filing system, how will it affect the timeliness of my filing?
If a technical problem with the E-Filing system prevents the court from receiving an E-Filing, the court may, upon satisfactory proof, permit the filing date of the document to relate back to the date you first attempted to file the document electronically.  Problems with your equipment, hardware or software, or other problems within your control generally will not excuse an untimely filing.
What should I do if I cannot convert my exhibit to a PDF?
Oversized or demonstrative exhibits must be conventionally filed.   Conventional filing means that you will have to come to the Justice Court Civil Clerk’s Office to file.  You should note in the “comments” box on the E-Filing page that exhibit materials will be conventionally filed. Conventional filings related to E-Filings do not require a separate proof of service, as long as the E-Filed proof of service lists the conventionally-filed document.